h ==> b ==> heses Was: Re: EasyNotation in german editing language.ly

From: Roland Goretzki
Subject: h ==> b ==> heses Was: Re: EasyNotation in german editing language.ly
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:28:57 +0100

Hello list, hello daveA,

You wrote:

> The only problem was the h, which may require changing a line.  I'm
> not clear about what b-double-flat is.  beses?  bes?  heses?  hes?

"heses"!
It is listed in "deutsch.ly", nevertheless I give an explanation:

In german the seven notenames, which refer to the white keys on the
piano, are called "Stammtöne":

    a h c d e f g

(
  German people seem a little bit complicated, calling the second
  notename "h" instead of "b", because with the second as "b" the
  notenames would be simply the first seven letters from alphabet,
  so it would be much more easy to learn them.

  I don't know the reason for this complication, but I have to accept
  it in germany. :-( ;-)
)

Only these "Stammtöne" are noted in notation without accidentals.

The german rules for the notenames, alterated with accidentals,
are very simple:

  A) 2. Alterating one half note to the right, give an "is" to the
        "Stammton".
     2. Alterating two half notes to the right, give an "isis" to the
        "Stammton".

  B) 1. Alterating one half note to the left, give an "es" to the
       "Stammton".
     1. Alterating two half notes to the left, give an "eses" to the
       "Stammton".

All notes alterated and double-alterated to the right are named
according to these rules WITHOUT ANY EXEPTION.

At the alteration to the left there are only three exeptions from these
rules at alterating ONLY ONE half note:

  1. The alterated "h" is named "b" instead of "hes".
  2. The alterated "e" is named "es" instead of "ees".
  3. The alterated "a" is named "as" instead of "aes".

A little bit complicated is double-alteration to the left, because of
the three exeptions at alterating ONE half note are no more evident at
the "Stammton" "h", so that the double-alteration to the left at the
"Stammtöne" "h", "e" and "a" is as follows:

  1. The double-alterated "h" is named "heses", according completely to
     the rule.
     (This was Your question. :)

  2. The double-alterated "e" is named "eses", according to the exeption
     at alterating the first half note plus according to the rule at
     alterating the further half note.

  3. The double-alterated "a" is named "ases": the same as
     double-alteration at "e".

    (In the "deutsch.ly" I did read, that the name for the
    double-alterated "a" would be "asas", which also could be called
    by the non-standard name "ases", but AFAIK it's just the other
    direction: standard is "ases", "asas" I've heard only once many
    years ago ... Please, correct me, if someone REALLY knows, that I'm
    wrong with this! :)

Please, excuse me, if there are too many mistakes in my writing: I'm not
firm in english speaking, so this was a good exercise to describe, what
I mean. :)

Best Regards                    Roland