Re: Lilypond not creating .pdf file

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lilypond not creating .pdf file
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:06:46 +0100

Run lilypond --verbose to get more information on what goes
wrong. If you can't solve it yourself, send a copy of the
printouts to the mailing list.

  /Mats

Lyle Raymond wrote:
On Saturday 20 March 2004 9:51 am, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

On Saturday 20 March 2004 03:21, Lyle Raymond wrote:

I've discovered that while in one directory, "lilypond <file.ly>"
automatically creates a pdf file; but while in another, it only
creates a latex file and doesn't go any further.  What's happening?

I'm using version 2.1.0, by the way.

This is just a guess, but you're not giving much.  :-)

Here's a little more:

All of my LP files are stored in ~/Documents/Lilypond. In that directory, there is a subdirectory for each piece I work on. My current piece, Four Brief Statements for Solo Guitar, is thus contained in the directory: ~/Documents/Lilypond/Statements, and contains st1.ly. This is only the second piece I've begun working on w/ LP. The first piece worked fine; all invocations of lilypond produced a .dvi and .pdf file. But while working on Statements, LP only spits out a latex file. What has changed?

Do you have any of your output in a separate directory?  If so,
it might be safer to use an output directory above the current,
by using ./out/ or something like that, rather than using a
fixed directory like /temp/out or something like that.

If you are suggesting that there is a default directory for output, I'd love to find out how to set it.

I would like to know if this is a really stupid answer.  daveA

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology