Re: OT: How to become a mutopia-writer

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: OT: How to become a mutopia-writer
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:15:49 +0100

I'm afraid it's not exactly that simple. An urtext edition can involve
a lot of editorial work. Often, there are several different sources
(handwritten manuscript, first printed version) and an editor must
judge which source to trust most or if several alternatives should be
printed. Also, even Urtext editions often contain some additional slurs
and other markings that wher4e included by the editor to correct for
more or less obvious mistakes in the original.
I'm certainly not a layer, but I fear that such editorial work may be
copyrighted even though the original music is in the public domain and
the edition is marked as Urtext.

   /Mats

Roland Goretzki wrote:
Hello list, hello Kilian,

You wrote:

The *music* itself isn't copyrighted, since the composers died more
than 100 years ago. If your printouts don't claim a copyright, and/or
are underived work ("Urtext", i.e. reproductions of the autographs),
they contain no "creative additions" to the compose's work.

In other words: take an "Urtext" edition and lilypondize it. Henle is
a good candidate (they made a lot of "Urtext" editions).

It's not easy for me to believe, that this is SO EASY.

I'm not a lawyer, but if some other mutopia-writers on this mailing-list
can affirm, what You say, then I'll go on working. :)

Or ask me; IIRC, I've Henle's Urtext-Editions of all Beethoven sonatas
and maybe of some Chopin etudes.

Thank You, but for the moment I have enough material with "Urtext". :)

Best Regards           Roland

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems