Re: quoted text in lyric

From: Stan Sanderson
Subject: Re: quoted text in lyric
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:41:34 -0600

On Mar 26, 2004, at 9:25 AM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Stan Sanderson wrote:
Mats-
Thank you for your response. I'm sorry I didn't mention version (2.1.32) and platform (OS 10.3). I also failed to correctly describe what I was using to obtain the quotation marks. As mentioned in the manual (at least as I understand it), one needs to use an underscore to start a quoted word or phrase so I used _"text of song" to obtain the result I described ( <ending quote>text of song<ending quote>).

What did you read that made you think that? Underscores in lyrics
are simply replaced by spaces, nothing else.

3.11.1 Entering lyrics  (users' manual)

A word in Lyrics mode begins with: an alphabetic character, _, ?, !, :, ', the control ...

Since double quotes are not included, I started with an underscore, which is recognized as the first (but non-printing) character of the word. The second character, then, becomes the double quote, which prints. However, the quote which is printed is an ending, rather than beginning quote.

If my text editor "smartens" the quotes, lilypond (or LaTex) complains about not knowing the ASCII character.

Stan