Re: 2.1 documentation

From: Thorkil Wolvendans
Subject: Re: 2.1 documentation
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:27:14 +0200

At 19:28 27-3-04, you wrote:

Section 3.2 - typo in example before Predefined commands?
Documentation indicates s suffix is used for sharp in English.
Documentation indicates es or as suffix is used for flat in Dutch.
Example has es' and as' shown as flats for E and A (above middle C).

I would have expected ees' or eas' and aes' or aas' (first character to
specify note, then flat, then octave).  Either indicate that s is used for
Dutch flat, or the note specification is missing from the example.

I understand you think it's a typo, but it's not: in dutch, to indicate a flat, we write after "consonant"-notes (c/d/f/g/b) es, because cs or bs is pretty hard for us to pronounciate. But since e and a are vowels we don't need the 'e' in 'es' as a help-vowel to make pronounciation easier, thus we ommit it.

Section 3.1.7 - fractional scaling
I'm guessing the example is a triplet?  If so, I'm used to seeing a square
bracket (rotated by 90 degrees) positioned above the notes so that the
bracket encompases the triple.  The denominator is indicated above the
bracket.

Well no, you're not seeing a triplet, actually! This is called, optical illusion (or just fooling everyone who thinks they something of music and it's rules). In this example they try to show that you can alter the length of notes and thus putting more notes in a bar than normal. Maybe this is an alternative way of using triplets without telling the player (Cramer does that with some of his etudes). Why? Well, in some cases it's easier on the eyes.

Thanks!
David White