Beam damping

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Beam damping
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:34:55 -0500

[ Mac OS X 10.3.3 via Fink; Lilypond 2.1.35-1 ]

Hello!

Just wondering about Beam damping. The default setting allows beams that are *far* too steep for my tastes:

[I don't have a copy of Ross or any comparable text -- would they would approve of a slope of 3.5 over 10?]

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have very fine control over the angle -- I can only get undamped or horizontal! =\

The code I am trying is:
    \override Staff.Beam #'damping = #2

The docs have this to say:
damping (integer):
1
Amount of beam slope damping. 0: no, 1: yes, 100000: horizontal beams.

Does that mean that 2 will give a different result (i.e., more damping) than 200?
What's the algorithm?

Best regards,
Kieren.