Re: Extent of graphic or text interface with LilyPond.

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: Extent of graphic or text interface with LilyPond.
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:35:09 +0000

At 22:06 7.4.2004, you wrote:
     My thanks to those who have given me information about LilyPond.

Perhaps I just need to clarify one thing. Several people have told me that
LilyPond doesn't have a graphic user interface - which I had read on the web
site anyway.
     I said that I didn't like graphic user interfaces much anyway, but I'm
beginning to wonder if I didn't word this statement clearly enough, and whether
it is being misunderstood a little.  With all the talk about input being
entirely ASCII text, and having to understand a language, I'm almost (maybe not
quite - but almost) getting the impression that LilyPond doesn't display the
music on the screen at all, and that you read the music by reading the text
you've input, and understanding what notation it is specifying.

I was emphasizing the textual input in order to say that I thought you would probably like LilyPond.

     Maybe I've misunderstood the comments I've received in response.
I don't really know that I want a program where I have to work in such an abstract way, where I can't see the actual musical notation on screen - and when I said I didn't like graphical user interfaces, I didn't mean that I liked this
way of working; I just meant that I dislike the Macintosh/Windows style of
program design, where every function is represented by silly childish little
pictures instead of a brief, clear text description, and where you have to point
and click to do everything, rather than use the keyboard (as if users were
expected mainly to be only semi-literate).

You will most definitely be able to view the "printed" music on-screen. It is just that LilyPond itself doesn't to the displaying. This is done with a viewer for postscript or PDFs. I normally have ghostview (a postscript viewer) open and set to "watch file" so that changes will be updated almost immediately. I edit the file, run LilyPond (this can be done from within emacs [and perhaps vim]), and look at the displayed PS file for the changes. If you run LilyPond from within your editor and have enough screen space to see both the input file and the displayed "printed" music you won't have to touch a mouse at all.

     But (of course - perhaps it seems obvious) I *do* want the music to be
displayed on the screen, and to be able to directly work on elements of
notation: moving them around, changing them, and so on, right before my eyes. I just want to be able to do this mostly (if not entirely) by using the keyboard,
and not by having to use the mouse hundreds of times an hour.  For example, I
want to be able to move to the next note by pressing "Right-Arrow", and the next
bar by pressing "Shift Right-Arrow", and to the next system by pressing "Ctrl
Right-Arrow" and the next page by pressing "Alt Right-Arrow" - or something of
that sort - instead of having to use the mouse to do each of these moves.
(That's only a guess, of course, about the way the keys might work. But you get
the idea.)

This is close to how it works. I think it is common to do one measure to a line (I do that mostly) so moving measure to measure is up/down arrow keys.

I have nothing against learning a language to work the program, if that is
efficient.  I am a Turbo Pascal programmer, and am familiar with the main
concepts of programming languages.  But dealing with such a visual thing as
music notation *entirely* through a programming language does sound a bit
cumbersome.

If you are a programmer I suspect that LilyPond will appeal to you even more. I'm not a programmer but when I describe LilyPond to my musician/programmer friends they say, "Oh, it's a programming language."

I would be grateful if someone could please clarify this point for me. And if the music notation is available for display, is it only in a "Preview" mode, such as you find in some MS-DOS-based word-processors, and you have to exit that
mode to return to doing things?  Or can you work directly on the notation that
is displayed?

Well, I think  I covered this point above, but to state it again:

The editing is done entirely within a text editor. The viewing is done via an external viewer. Perhaps to your way of thinking it is a "preview" mode but if you are working in a windowing environment (X-windows, Windows/cygwin) then it is a trivial matter to have a postscript or PDF viewer open to the output file.

The processing chain is:

lilyfile.ly --> lilypond --> lilyfile.ps/lilyfile.pdf --> viewed with gv/acrobat-reader etc.

Hope this clears it up for you.

-David