Re: Newbie: Getting started with lilypond-book

From: KEVIN ZEMBOWER
Subject: Re: Newbie: Getting started with lilypond-book
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:33:15 -0400

Ben, thank for letting me know about the attachments not being allowed. I
didn't know that. I thought I was making it easier for anyone to help me.

I did try to change the size, as I thought was shown in the manual, but didn't
see any change on the output.

I've cut and pasted the three files in at the end of this message. Cut between
lines "======" to reassemble them.

Thank you all for your patience and suggestions.

>>> Ben Crowell <address@hidden> 04/10/04 05:56PM >>>
I don't think this list allows attachments, so we can't see your latex code.
The lilypond-book manual shows examples of how to change the size. Did that
not work for you?

I'm sorry to ask this, but I've just gotten frustrated by working with this
over the last two hours, and wonder if someone can get me unstuck.

I'm trying to produce two short tunes (for contra dance music) on the same
page. I've created the two tunes in two separate files, which I've attached.
I've also attached a file JuliaDelaney_Spootiskerry.tex, which I'm trying to
use in lilypond-book to generate the file.

My sequence of commands is:
emacs JuliaDelaney_Spootiskerry.tex
lilypond-book --outdir=out JuliaDelaney_Spootiskerry.tex
cd out
latex JuliaDelaney_Spootiskerry.latex
dvips -o JuliaDelaney_Spootiskerry.ps JuliaDelaney_Spootiskerry

I think the version I've attached will actually generate a viewable .ps file,
but I have two problems with it:
1. I want to reduce the font size, so that both tunes fit on one side of a
page, and
2. I want to print out the Title information, just as if I generated separate
.pdf files for each tune, and embedded them in a single, one-page document. I
read somewhere that the footer information would be dropped in this case, which
is exactly what I would prefer.

Would someone please show me how to edit my JuliaDelaney_Spootiskerry.tex file
to fix these two problems?

My assumption so far is that I could create just one file per tune, and then
combine two tunes on a page without changing the individual 'tune-files'
through the use of lilypond-book. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

-Kevin Zembower

File JuliaDelaney_Spootiskerry.tex:
==================================
\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\begin{document}
\lilypondfile[11pt]{JuliaDelaney.ly}
\lilypondfile[11pt]{Spootiskerry.ly}
\end{document}
==================================
File JuliaDelaney.ly:
===================================
\include "paper20.ly"
\paper  {
  linewidth = 455.244096\pt

}
\version "1.9.8"
\header {
  %dedication = "dedication"
  title = "Julia Delaney"
  %subtitle = "Subtitle"
  %subsubtitle = "Subsubtitle"
  composer = "Traditional"
  %opus = "Opus 0"
  opus = "Reel"
  %piece = "Piece I"
  %instrument = "Instrument"
  %arranger = "Engraved by Ed Vanden Bosch and Kevin Zembower"
  %poet = "Poet"
  %texttranslator = "Translator"
  %copyright = "public domain"
  %source =  "urtext "
  %enteredby = "Kevin Zembower"
  %maintainerEmail = "address@hidden"
  %texidoc = "The standard header that ought to be above a file."
  tagline = "Engraved by LilyPond, 2.0.0.\\\\Engraved by Ed Vanden Bosch and
Kevin Zembowe\\\\Produced for the Baltimore Folk Music Society Open Band
(http://www.bfms.org)."
}

melody = \notes \relative c'' {

\property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'molecule-callback =
   #(make-molecule-boxer 0.15 0.3 0.3 brew-new-markup-molecule)

  \key d \minor
   \repeat volta 2 {
   \mark "A"
   d8 c a g \times 2/3 { f8 g f } c8 f  | \times 2/3 { e8 f e } c8 e f d d4 |
   d'8 c a g \times 2/3 { f8 g f } c8 f | a d d cis d e f e |
   d c a g \times 2/3 { f8 g f } d8 f   | \times 2/3 { e8 f e } c8 e f d d4 |
   d'8 c a g \times 2/3 { f8 g f } d8 f | a d d cis d2 |
   }
   \break
   \repeat volta 2 {
   \mark "B"
   f4 f8 e f a g f                    | \times 2/3 { e8 d c } g8 c a c g4 |
   f8 e d e f a g f                  | e d c a a d d e |
   f4 f8 e f a g f                   | \times 2/3 { e8 d c } g'8 a a a g4 |
   f8 e d f e d c a                  | a d d cis d2 |

accompaniment = \chords {
}

\score {
  <<
    \context ChordNames \accompaniment
    \context Staff = one {
        \property Staff.automaticMelismata = ##t
        \melody
    }

  \paper { }

File Spootiskerry.ly:
\include "paper20.ly"
\paper  {
  linewidth = 455.244096\pt

}
\version "1.9.8"
\header {
  %dedication = "dedication"
  title = "Spootiskerry"
  %subtitle = "Subtitle"
  %subsubtitle = "Subsubtitle"
  composer = "Traditional"
  %opus = "Opus 0"
  opus = "Reel"
  %piece = "Piece I"
  %instrument = "Instrument"
  arranger = "Engraved by Kevin Zembower"
  %poet = "Poet"
  %texttranslator = "Translator"
  %copyright = "public domain"
  %source =  "urtext "
  %enteredby = "Kevin Zembower"
  %maintainerEmail = "address@hidden"
  %texidoc = "The standard header that ought to be above a file."
  tagline = "Engraved by LilyPond, 2.0.0.\\\\Produced for the Baltimore Folk
Music Society Open Band (http://www.bfms.org)."
}

melody = \notes \relative c' {

\property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'molecule-callback =
   #(make-molecule-boxer 0.15 0.3 0.3 brew-new-markup-molecule)

  \key g \major
  \partial 4
   \repeat volta 2 {
   d8 e |
   \mark "A"
   g4 d8 e g d d g  | d e g a b4 a8 b  | g4 d8 e g a b d  |
   e g e d b4 a8 b         | g4 d8 e g d d g  | d e g a b4 a8 b  |
   g'4 e8 d e d b a        |
   b2 g4 g4
   }
   \break
   \partial 4
   e'8 fis |
   \mark "B"
   g4 fis8 d e d b4  |b8 a b g e4 d8 e  |g8 a b d e g e d  |b4 a a e'8 fis|
   g4 fis8 d e d b4  |b8 a b g e4 d8 e  |g8 a b d e g e d  |b4 a a e'8 fis|
   g4 fis8 d e d b4  |b8 a b g e4 d8 e  |g8 a b d e g e d  |b4 a a d,8 d  |
   g4 d8 e g d d g   |d e g a b4 a8 b   |g'4 e8 d e d b a  |b2 g4 g4
}

accompaniment = \chords {
  \partial 4 s4
  g1       g          g2 e:m    a:m  d