Re: rest collision

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: rest collision
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:14:58 -0400

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 20:12, Roland Goretzki wrote:
> Hello list, hello Stan,
>
> You wrote:
> > In the attached example, eighth rests collide with note stems. I'd
> > appreciate suggestions about how to make it look better.
> >
> > The code for the measure(s) is
> >
> > <bf bf'>8 |
> > %%% measure 86
> >     <f f'>8
>
> Give the following line just before the rest:
>
>     \once\override Score.Rest #'extra-offset = #'(.3 . .3)
>
> If You don't want to type this line before each rest, You can stroke
> the "\once":
>
>     \override Score.Rest #'extra-offset = #'(.3 . .3)
>
> But this will work on each rest in the whole Score.
> So, if You have only many rests to shift with the same numbers, and
> in this area is no other rest, You can take the second line, and
> after this area You have to give the line
>
>     \revert Score.Rest #'extra-offset
>
> so that the following rests are not shifted.
>
> In Your little example it will look as follows:
>
>     \override Score.Rest #'extra-offset = #'(.3 . .3)
>
> > The \rest coding was used to bring the rests down from the note
> > heads.
>
> In case of only one rest-shifting this would not be necessary, You
> could shift it as follows:
>
>     \once\override Score.Rest #'extra-offset = #'(.3 . -4.1)
>
> But if there are many rest-shifings like this, the \rest coding is to
> prefer, because of the shifting with \override Score.Rest is relative
> to the given note\rest, otherwise the rest's vertical position is
> orientated to the note before, and it would be too complicated to set
> each different numbers of shifting.
>
> I think, this will help You. :)

That's a good summary of what to do with two parts.  When there are
three on a staff, and the rest belongs to the center part, sometimes the
rest will collide with either the descender or ascender.  In such a
case, the rule is that the rest must *precede* the stem regardless of
the stem's direction.  You can't let it be tucked in under a note head
after a descender.  I have whole pages of music where almost every
measure is noted this way, from 1810 or so.  The only place I have seen
this rule written out was on the Denemo website IIRC, but they must have
seen it somewhere.  I would be nervous about scanning the example
because the "author"(!) claims copyright.  daveA

--
Paying more at the gas pump?  Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,