Verses with Different Rhythms

From: Jean Connelly
Subject: Verses with Different Rhythms
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:28:17 -0400

Hello,

Thanks a bunch to Mats for the help with inserting multiple words under
the same note.  I can't believe I missed that in the lyric section.
Anyway, now my problem is I can't figure out a good way to line up lyrics
properly when there are ties or slurs that differ from verse to verse.
Here is my project:

\score {
  \notes {
  <<
  \context Voice = "all" {
  \clef treble \cadenzaOn \tieDotted e'1 fis'2~ fis'2 g'1
  }
  \lyricsto "all" \new Lyrics \lyrics {
  \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-1
  "All who see me" scoff at me
  }
  \lyricsto "all" \new Lyrics \lyrics {
  \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-1
   "Indeed many dogs surr" -- round __ me

First, my \tieDotted doesn't seem to be doing anything.  Do I have that in
the wrong place?

Then, I want the word "at" in the first verse to line up under the third
note.  Because of the tie, it refuses.  I can't seem to get the extender
line on "round" that I want unless I have the tie.  So I'm stuck.

I've played games in other packages like Finale with invisible voices and
such, but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to get in to that.

Thanks for any help,

Jean