Re: Verses with Different Rhythms

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Verses with Different Rhythms
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:16:10 +0200

It seems that you use version 2.2, which includes new support
for exactly this situation with different number of syllables
in different verses, using the ignoreMelismata property.
See http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/The-Lyrics-context.html#The%20Lyrics%20context
and the referenced example.

Regarding the dashed slurs, it seems this feature has never been
implemented for Ties, only for slurs. For some strange reason, the
\tieDotted macro is predefined anyway. I'll post a bug report.

   /Mats

Jean Connelly wrote:

Hello,

Thanks a bunch to Mats for the help with inserting multiple words under
the same note.  I can't believe I missed that in the lyric section.
Anyway, now my problem is I can't figure out a good way to line up lyrics
properly when there are ties or slurs that differ from verse to verse.
Here is my project:

\score {
  \notes {
  <<
  \context Voice = "all" {
  \clef treble \cadenzaOn \tieDotted e'1 fis'2~ fis'2 g'1
  }
  \lyricsto "all" \new Lyrics \lyrics {
  \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-1
  "All who see me" scoff at me
  }
  \lyricsto "all" \new Lyrics \lyrics {
  \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-1
   "Indeed many dogs surr" -- round __ me

First, my \tieDotted doesn't seem to be doing anything.  Do I have that in
the wrong place?

Then, I want the word "at" in the first verse to line up under the third
note.  Because of the tie, it refuses.  I can't seem to get the extender
line on "round" that I want unless I have the tie.  So I'm stuck.

I've played games in other packages like Finale with invisible voices and
such, but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to get in to that.

Thanks for any help,

Jean

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing