newby question

From: Peter
Subject: newby question
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:51:54 +0200

Hi all,

I'm just starting with Lilypond, trying to print out some sheet music for a little group I play in. I'm struggling with a couple of issues I find no obvious solution for. If the answers are readily available, just tell me I didn't look hard enough and point me in the proper direction. If not, I'd appreciate some help... I've been spending already a lot of time on this...

- I have a "D.C al Coda", which happens to be on the last measure of a line. The text runs into the margin and is clipped. I'm not sure how one would typeset this: making it right-aligned? Or adding enough whitespace to the measure to the text fits? And how would one do that in Lilypond?

- I'm not sure how to keep the structure of the music (repeats, bar lines) separately from the notes. My attempt seems to work, but the markup of the structure (e.g. the measure numbers) are too close to the staff, and collides with the notes.

- Using the form S1*n \coda does not put the coda sign at the end of the nth measure, but right at the beginning. Bug?

I've included the 'master' file for your amusement - I am a beginner after all :-)

Cheers, and thanks!
Peter.

%%-----------------------------
\header {
    title = "De Klucht"
}

\include "contrabas.ly"
\include "klarinet.ly"
\include "fluit.ly"

structure = \notes {
    \time 4/4

    \once\override Score.MetronomeMark #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 3)
    \tempo 4=120

    \mark \default
    %% einde 24: Al Coda
s1 * 23 s4 s4 s4 s4 \coda %%%% Problem: S1*24 \Coda prints the coda at the very beginning of the score!
    \bar "||"

    %% 25 start tussenstuk
    \mark \default
    s1 * 25

    %% 49 einde tussenstuk
    \mark \default
    \bar "||"

    %% 50
    \mark \default
    s1 * 27
    \bar "||"

    %% 77 begin tussenstuk
    \mark \default
    s1 * 26
    %% 103 einde tussenstuk, D.C al coda
s4*3 s4 ^"D.C. al Coda" \bar "||" \break %%%% Problem: text runs into the void of the right margin

    %% 104 de Coda
    s1 \coda s1*3
    \bar "|."
}

\score {
    \context StaffGroup <<
\new Staff << \structure \fluit >> %%%% Problem: measure numbers run into brackets, markup text runs into notes.

        \new Staff \klarinet
        \new Staff \contrabas

}