Re: newby question

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: newby question
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:49:17 +0200

You may want to take a look at the answer I just sent to a
related question, "placement of rehearsal marks and more,"
see the mailing list archives at
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/

Peter wrote:
Hi all,

I'm just starting with Lilypond, trying to print out some sheet music for a little group I play in. I'm struggling with a couple of issues I find no obvious solution for. If the answers are readily available, just tell me I didn't look hard enough and point me in the proper direction. If not, I'd appreciate some help... I've been spending already a lot of time on this...

- I have a "D.C al Coda", which happens to be on the last measure of a line. The text runs into the margin and is clipped. I'm not sure how one would typeset this: making it right-aligned? Or adding enough whitespace to the measure to the text fits? And how would one do that in Lilypond?

First of all, use \mark to attach text of other objects to bar lines.
Then, you can change the alignment using
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #left
or
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #right

- I'm not sure how to keep the structure of the music (repeats, bar lines) separately from the notes. My attempt seems to work, but the markup of the structure (e.g. the measure numbers) are too close to the staff, and collides with the notes.
How could you separate repeats from the music?
If you have a separate \structure definition with text attached
to spacing notes, make sure that it ends up in the same Voice
context as the actual music, to avoid collisions with note heads.
So, just replace
new Staff << \structure \fluit >>
with
new Voice << \structure \fluit >>

For the rehearsal marks, you may want to add some extra padding:
\override RehearsalMark   #'padding = #5

- Using the form S1*n \coda does not put the coda sign at the end of the nth measure, but right at the beginning. Bug?

The ^\coda construct always attaches the script to the note head.
In this case, the note head is imaginary, but you could imagine where
it would have been printed if it was a normal note.
Again, you probably want to use \mark instead. Take a look at the
"Regressions test" document and search for the example
rehearsal-mark-number.ly to learn the syntax.

   /Mats