Using slurs with polyphony

From: Yuval Harel
Subject: Using slurs with polyphony
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 23:20:04 +0200

Hello,

I'm having trouble with using slurs where the number of voices changes during the slur.
A simple example:
        <<
                g4( \\

        fis
        <<
                g) \\

This yields:
        /home/UV/1.ly:5:6: warning: unterminated slur:
                                  g4
                                      ( \\

        /home/UV/1.ly:10:5: warning: can't find start of slur:
                                         ) \\
And of course, the slur doesn't show.

I can't tell whether this is a bug, because I couldn't find any documentation on
how beginnings and endings of slurs are matched.

So this leaves two questions:
 - How are beginnings and endings of slurs matched?
- Is there a way to make such slurs work without forcing the number of voices to remain constant?

Thanks,
        Yuval