Re: Tempo mark

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Tempo mark
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 13:06:02 +0200

Search the mailing list archives of lilypond-user for
"tempo markup" to find some examples of typesetting the
metronomization as part of a text markup.

To change the position of the metronome mark, you have to find out
what kind layout object in LilyPond is used to typeset it. To do that,
you could start from the manual section on Metronome marks:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Metronome-marks.html#Metronome%20marks
and follow the links
MetronomeChangeEvent -> Metronome_mark_engraver -> MetronomeMark
which gives the name of the layout object "MetronomeMark" and
a list of the properties that are set by default. To see more
properties that can be set, you have to follow the links to the
different interfaces.
To conclude, you could raise a tempo indication by
\override MetronomeMark #'padding = #2.0
for example.

See also the new section on Changing defaults in the manual for
version 2.2, for a general background on these issues.

   /Mats

Thomas Scharkowski wrote:
Thank you, I had read the manual before posting. :-)
What I want is the "Adagio" marking and the Tempo marking in one line, or change the position of the \tempo mark manually.

Thank you
Thomas

Hello list,

I would like to add a metronome mark to the following:
^\markup \large \bold {\hspace #-4.0 {Adagio}}

to get something like:
Adagio (4=108) (4 should be replaced by a note)

I have tried to find out how to move the metronome mark produced by
"\tempo 4 = 108" vertically and/or horizontally, but with no success.

It seems you are trying to attach this as some kind of markup to a note.
In the manual:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Metronome-marks.html#Metronome%20marks
... it seems that it should be entered as just before the note for which
you want to impose this tempo indication, not attached as markup to
anything. Click on the image to see the lilycode.

BTW: I would expect the metronome marks to be mentioned in the Tutorial
under 'Basic rhythmical commands' and/or 'Time signature' in the tutorial
(either directly, or as a link in the "For more information on").
Graphically it may be markup, but musically it is a very basic property
and not just some articulation.

I found it now by clicking in the tutorial on 'Adding articulation marks
to notes', then on 'For more information on Articulations', then on "Up:
expressive marks" and then "metronome marks". So somewhere in that erratic
click-trip I jumped from the Tutorial to the Notation Manual. I am
surprised that it is grouped under "Expressive marks" there; I would
expect it maybe under "Staff notation" (which is also not perfect because
in most music the tempo is rather a score-context thing than a
staff-context thing).

HTH,
David Boersma

Thank you for your help.