Re: Slight spanner problem

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Slight spanner problem
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 00:16:47 +0200

On Monday 10 May 2004 17.50, Doug Asherman wrote:
> Erik Sandberg wrote:
> > On Saturday 08 May 2004 23.39, Doug Asherman wrote:
> >>No problems with the words; they're within the bar lines (even though
> >>the bar lines aren't visible). But if a line of music ends with a tie
> >>and the word it ends on has an extender spanner, then the extender juts
> >>out a bit beyond the (invisible) bar line.
> >
> > Now with the example, I understand what you mean :)
>
> I don't think the example shows exactly what I mean. I think I can
> describe it a little better, though:
>
> A line of music ends on a note that is tied to a note in the next
> measure. The next measure is on the next line. The note coincides with a
> syllable that has an extender (e.g., "good __").  This means that the
> extender also extends to the next line of music. So the extender will
> jut out a little bit beyond the end of the bar of music on the first line.
>
> Now, just to confuse things: I don't think this is bad, and may even be
> the right thing. It's not aesthetically unpleasing at all. Why am I
> trying to find a way to change it, then? Because I typeset music for
> other people, and I'm trying to forestall a lot of complaining about
> little issues such as this.

It would then be useful to know what exactly _they_ want to see..

for {f f~ |\break f f}, do they want this?

         ________
===|===|/=======|
===o===o========|
  bla bla ______

_
=\|====|=====||
      bla

This notation would mean that only the first half of the tied note should be
sung. Extenders are always drawn to the end of their syllable's duration. A
solution for you would be to simply shorten the duration, which possibly
could be done by using explicit lyric durations instead of lyricsto.

i.e.: use
bla2 bla2 \skip 2 bla
to achieve what I wrote above.

Erik