Re: \bar ":|:" inconsistency?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: \bar ":|:" inconsistency?
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:14:12 -0400

On Thursday 13 May 2004 04:37, Erik Sandberg wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 May 2004 20.40, Steve Shorter wrote:
> > Howdy!
> >
> >     I was wondering about the apparent difference in repeat bars
> >
> >     Seems
> >
> > \bar "|:"
> >

> >     and
> >
> > \bar ":|"
> >
> >     et al have a thick bar, followed by a thin bar followed by the ":"
> >
> >     but
> >
> > \bar ":|:"
> >
> >     only has the thick bar followed by the ":".
> >
> >     Checking other printed scores shows that the convention is
> > to always have a thin bar just before the ":".
> >
> >     See
> >
> >     http://linuxsweet.com/bar.pdf
> >
> >     for a simple example.
> >
> >     Is this a design decision, oversite or ???
>
> I checked with scores from both Henle and Baerenreiter Urtext, and
> they do :|: barlines exactly the same way as lilypond (dots, two
> thick lines, dots). So this seems to be the standard convention.
>
> Do you have any good examples of scores where a different convention
> is used?

Schott--20th century, is always dots thin thick thin dots.  Two thicks
is just old fashioned.  HDM has thick thin dots and dots thin thick,
with no mention of dots without a thin.

There's nothing wrong with either.  How far do you want to go with
looking old?  daveA

--
Paying more at the gas pump?  Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,