Re: interrupted notes

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: Re: interrupted notes
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 17:51:39 -0700

On Sunday April 18 2004 23:10, Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:
> In the following fragment:
>
> << e1 \\ { c4 d e f } >>
>
> When played by a pianist (which I should emphasize, I am not), the e4
> should interrupt the e1 so that it sounds like:
>
> << e2 \\ { c4 d e f } >>
>
> What the midi output currently does is this:
>
> << e1 \\ { c4 d s f } >>
>
> I would like to change Midi_walker::do_start_note to do the former
> (fairly easy).  The question is, should there be an option to do the
> latter?

In the case of piano, the e should be released/restruck at the second e, but
not released again until the first e cuts off. To properly implement that,
you would have to either keep track of how many notes are active so that you
only fully release the key after there are no occurrences of that note still
active, or you could keep track of when the last note will turn off based on
notelengths and the time they started.

You are right that << e1 \\ { c4 d s f } >> isn't what you meant for it to do,
but neither is << e2 \\ { c4 d e f } >>. a view of what is going on, from the
view of the 'e', helps show that:
What it seemed to be doing was {e1}
What you say you wanted it to do was {e2 e4}
What your original expression represented was {e2 e2}

The sustain pedal could influence wether or not to cutoff at points too, but I
thought midi has distinct pedal support.