Building lily 2.3.1 on cygwin

From: Ruud van Silfhout
Subject: Building lily 2.3.1 on cygwin
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:08:41 +0200

Hi,

Last week I tried to build the 2.3.1 version of lily on a real cygwin
environment.
I ran into a few problems. I don't now  where these problems need to be
solved;
in the lily  distribution or in the distribution of the packages involved.

1. installing mftrace did not work flawlessly. The exe's on an cygin
environment
need a .exe extension. I know this should be reported to a mftrace bug list,
but
as the author of the mftrace package is Han-Wen, I'll report it here anyway.
;-).
All the other packages, needed to  build lilypond, installed
'out-of-the-box';
really great!

2. When "make"-ing the py directory of the lilypond src tree a number of
link errors
were reported, indicating that the python2.3.dll could not be found. The
reason being that the dll is installed in the /bin directory of cygwin
rather than the /lib
directory. So, I patched the local make file to reflect this by adding
a -L/bin and a -lpython2.3. I assume that something must be added to the
configure
script to check where the library can be found, but I don't know how to do
that.

3. When "make install"-ing the sw, it stopped in the lilypond/mf directory,
because
"sh" complains that the line is too long. In the sh man-pages I couldn't
find an option
to changes this, so I solved this by patching the GNUMakefile
and removing the long absolute path to the install-dot-exe.sh by a relative
path and
 copying the "install-dot-exe.sh" to "i.sh"

4. It was not quite clear from the install pages that I had to install the
guile-devel
package too as well as the gettext-devel package.

I agree with the remark on the Install pages that building lily is an
involved process.
I hope that these remarks will contribute to make the process of building
lily a bit more
robust.

Regards,
Ruud van Silfhout