Re: Rolls and ruffs

From: Peter Mogensen
Subject: Re: Rolls and ruffs
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 15:20:12 +0200

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Did you try the following?

 \time 6/8
  c'8 r c8:32 ~ c8 c c |
  c4.:32 ~ c4.:32 ~ |
  c8 r c:32 ~ c c c |
  c4.:32 ~ c4 c8:32 ~ |
  c8 r c \acciaccatura d c r c

Yes. But it doesn't give the result I'm looking for. It's _looks_ like the wanted engraving, but it's not perfect. It's a slightly different concept than tremolos.

Rolls are denoted with 3 strokes.
Ruffs are denoted with 2

The strokes across the stem is usually more light than a tremolo.
This gives a nicer looking roll:

      \property Voice.StemTremolo \set #'beam-thickness = #0.1
      \property Voice.StemTremolo \set #'beam-width = #1.5
      \clef percussion
      sn4:32( sn8) r8

However... when I try that with ruffs, the strokes align to the beam and becomes horizontal when the beam is. That's not the intention.

   \property Voice.StemTremolo \set #'beam-thickness = #0.1
   \property Voice.StemTremolo \set #'beam-width = #1.5
   c8:32~c8

Rolls generally a just drum rolls lasting as long as the note. No one is counting how many times the stick hits the snare. Ruffs are (most often) 5 beats (the 5th being the tied note). In the above code there will only be 3 beats.

For the MIDI output, it's possible to unfold tremolo repeats
as shown in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/input/regression/out-www/collated-files.html#repeat-unfold-tremolo.ly
See also the mailing list archives, where a related question was
answered earlier today.

I've read about unfolding tremolos and I've found mails on the list about it. It's not what I want though. I've only found one thread about marching band snare drum notation and it was about the stroked grace-notes used to represent using both sticks with a small offset (a "slip" in Danish). I have no problem with them though.