Re: triplet question

From: Thorkil Wolvendans
Subject: Re: triplet question
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:14:57 +0200

Hi Ed & everyone!

At 19:17 24-5-04, you wrote:
I haven't ever seen, or heard of, triplets going over a bar line (except when
I got Lilypond to do it on my school assignment by mistake).

I attached an example from the book "Music Notation in the 20th Century" by Kurt Stone. It gives a nice example of a quintuplet (okay, it's not a triplet, but this was the first example I could find) crossing a bar line, taken from Elliot Carter's "Symphony of Three Orchestras". It was not an uncommon habit for the Post-World War 2 -generation of composers to use barline-crossing tuplets. Boulez, Berio, Xenakis, etc. used it quite frequently, actually. But I believe even Webern has used them in a couple of compositions.

Changing time signatures is probably what should be done if you are writing music and
it has gotten to that point.

Maybe, but... what if you want to start a triplet on the second half of the last beat and don't want to loose the 4/4 feel?
For instance:

%START EX. 1%
    \notes \relative c'' {
    \time 4/4
    c4 e8 e g4 d | c4 e8 e g4. \times 2/3 { f8 a b} c4. r2
    }
%END EX. 1%

One could change time here to \time 9/8, next bar to \time 7/8 and then return to \time 4/4. This certainly shouldn't give any (major) problem if it's a solo piece, but I think, if it would be a piece for let's say, violin & orchestra, the timeshifting (and most importantly: rythm-shifting) would be very confusing for the rest of the ensemble, because (considering the fact that we want to keep the 4/4 feel) they have to start on the weak-weak-beat of the 9/8-measure, which has to function as a preferenced Strong-beat and the actual Strong-beat (the first beat in the 7/8-measure) has to function as a Weak-beat again.

I think it's easiest for all parties (soloist and/or ensemble) to use a barline-crossing tuplet.
Only, how should one achieve it in Lily? I'd say by faking it, or not?

Regards,
Thorkil