Re: Help getting started

From: Jim Sabatke
Subject: Re: Help getting started
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 19:48:40 -0500

Joe Neeman wrote:

I don't think it's possible to use lilypond without lots of painful research. I haven't been able to find an index, or google search that will reliably return simple information.

In my opinion, the most important piece of missing documentation is one that describes the basic syntactic and grammatic structure of lilypond. I have learned quite a lot by following examples, but I still don't really understand what lots of things do. Whenever anyone learns a language like C, there are lots of documents/text books that say things like: "this is an expression", "this is the structure of a funcion call", "this is how to write a function declaration", etc. In lilypond, all the examples say is: "this is how to change the stem width". They don't say "this is the general format for changing an engraving property" or "this is how the \score block is structured".

If anyone else is interested, I think we should try to write a comprehensive guide to the stucture of the lilypond language. I'd do it myself, but I don't know most of the answers...

I agree. I asked before "what is the structure of an ly file?" I never got an answer. That leaves me guessing from examples. I was using 2.3.1 for a while, until I found out that some of the formatting doesn't work yet. When I went back to 2.2.1, I had to make major changes to a simple layout to get it to parse.

I'm researching "how do I make a note head smaller" because I need to fit a few more notes on a line to keep it from going nuts and extending lines way past explicit "\break" commands. I've googled and grep'd tons of documents, and I still don't know how to do it. I've found possible solutions, but the syntax doesn't seem to work anywhere I place the commands. I've tried searching the lilypond wiki site, but the searches returns mostly hits on how to setup the wiki.

I'd like to see a wiki site setup for people to share solutions to problems, and to begin to document how to do things in lilypond.

Lilypond needs an honest to goodness user manual. I don't fault the developers; they are still developing and documenting as best as they can. A good start would be to layout the syntax for basic usage.

Endless trial and error is really discouraging.

--
Jim Sabatke
Hire Me!! - See my resume at http://my.execpc.com/~jsabatke

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.