Re: Help getting started

From: Jim Sabatke
Subject: Re: Help getting started
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 06:48:59 -0500

donald_j_axel wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2004 19:48:40 -0500
Jim Sabatke <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm researching "how do I make a note head smaller" because I need to fit a few more notes on a line to keep it from

Many techniques can be found in the documentation, this is one of them.

[...]

place the commands. I've tried searching the lilypond wiki site, but the searches returns mostly hits on how to setup the wiki.

You hit a weak point here. Your criticism is a little over the
target though. Some Lilypond writers think it is very nice that a
lot of things defaults to sane values. So if you do not think that
it should be so you could write notes with rosegarden or noteedit
and think about what problems these two programs run into.

It was not meant to be harsh criticism. I was only trying to point out the extent to which I've searched for answers.

The wiki is still really young. Most people working with Lily or
programming to the Lilypond project also have other things in
their lives, be it jobs or families, and after hours trying to get
the right lilypond output they tend to take up other tasks:-)

Again, I did not blame the coders. They are doing wonderful work. I wanted to point out that there is a need for documentation. I am willing to help with this, although at this point I would have very little to contribute.

I'd like to see a wiki site setup for people to share solutions to problems, and to begin to document how to do things in lilypond.

But that is how the wiki started! It was Ferenc Wagner (or so I
think) who set it up because "Open Source is about collaboration :-)"

You can find a link to the wiki at the bottom of each
documentation page, including the examples page.

http://afavant.elte.hu/lywiki/FrontPage

You will soon find out that it is very difficult to write decent
documentation and that many Lilyponders actually write useable but
annoying (wrong) English.

If documentation is usable, then it is good. Grammar and word choices can always be modified by others. I don't find such language very disturbing anyway; it's the content that matters, and I'm grateful for any help there is.

However, the subject on how to get started is by no means new. The
discussion pops up every half year. The best answer is "don't get
started :-) with criticism, but go ahead following some of the
examples be it from Mutopia or from the collection going with
the source" and use the source even if it is "involved".

It is a couple of months ago I finished layouting a small 0.50"
piece, Chopin's C-Major Prelude, it took me 1 month, and I have
forgotten much about which contexts are default etc and what they
do. Yes, we definitely have to explain this and keep up working
with the wiki. It is different from writing parts for an orchestra
or just copy/beautify a score, which I have been doing 30 years
ago. With ink.

Again, I would be happy to help where I am able.

--
Jim Sabatke
Hire Me!! - See my resume at http://my.execpc.com/~jsabatke

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.