Re: Correct way to engrave tempo instructions?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Correct way to engrave tempo instructions?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:50:55 +0200

Alex Young wrote:

On Sunday 13 June 2004 10:50, Alex Klein wrote:

Hi guys,
I was wondering, what is the correct way to engrave the tempo
instructions (for example "Allegro vivace") in a classical piece? I
usually use the piece text in the header (which works nice but in most
scores I know the tempo instruction is set above the bar not flushed to
the left and is in bold letters), but what if one needs to insert a
tempo instruction in the middle of the piece. There are of course the
tempo markers, but I need the "text version" for this. Would be nice if
there would be a command like

\tempo 4=140 "Allegro vivace"

which would result in just the text being printed in the score but the
numbers used for the midi file.

So far, there is no automated support for this combination, but
you can easily get the printed output using \markup, as described
in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-12/msg00013.html

I've set a couple of orchestral scores with exactly that problem - I ended up creating an extra part that was something like:

timing = \notes {
        s1\markup {Legato}
        \repeat unfold N {s1}
        s1\markup {Allegro vivace}
}

where the N is padding to fit in with the other parts. The good thing about doing it this way is that you can do something like:

Instead of the repeat, you could simply do (if N=24, say)
s1*24 or \skip 1*24

   /Mats