Snare drum (Ruffs and rolls)

From: Peter Mogensen
Subject: Snare drum (Ruffs and rolls)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:08:49 +0200

My 50c:

> I've been using Lilypond for percussion notation (mostly snare drum
> and drum-set) and have found it produces good results. Tremolos in
> ruffs and rolls _can_ be aligned with beams.  This is how it is done
> in Wilcoxon's All American Drummer (one of the seminal snare drum
> books). This is not to say that the alternate form mentioned above
> would not be useful.

I'm not a drummer, but I've seen and directed hundreds of scores for marching band and I don't recall any which used plain tremolos for ruffs and rolls. ... not to say it can't be done, but then it seems to be a matter of local tradition. Strokes across stems are often thinner than tremolos and not not aligned with any beams in the material I've seen.
Examples:
http://www.bigendian.dk/jubileum.jpg
http://www.bigendian.dk/libertyb.jpg
(the strokes are not thinner here in the last sample though)

> In drum notation it is important to distinguish between the double
> stroke or `open roll', where each stick strikes the drum twice, and
> the buzz roll, where each stick produces an indefinite number of
> strokes. Usually this is done today by indicating double stroke rolls
> with tremolo repeat symbols and buzz rolls with a z through the stem
> of the note in the same fashion as the / of the tremelo repeat.

I know the technical difference, but its seldom but into notation in the type of orchestra I play most. (flutes, snares, bugles and some times a brass section).

Peter