Time

From: Joshua Koo
Subject: Time
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:40:06 +0800

Hi all,

I was browsing around the mutopia-project and I saw this piece, F. Chopin:
Prelude (Op. 28, No. 1) for Piano, by Donald Axel.
The shock for me was for just about a page of music, there's about over 800
lines in the lilypond source.

Yesterday I spent 6 hours and only completed 3 pages of a simple, single voice,
single staff (and to think had already become a little more familar with
lilypond's syntax). In comparision I had comlpete only a few hundred lines and
I wonder how much time was used for that piece.

The 1st piece I typeset in lilypond took me about 4 hours. I use much of
Noteworthy Composer before and it usually took me 2 hours at most to complete a
piece.

Well, so the question is how fast does the other lilypond users can typeset
piece? To set a benchmark, lets say the time to typeset for just a single
instrument, single voice for about 2 pages, 120 bars. Given your replys, I
would be able to guess how slow I am doing, and how much more for me to
improve. It be interesting too, if there are stats of how long roughly for
someone to typeset the same length of music in Finale or Siblius.

Joshua