Re: Correct way to engrave tempo instructions?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Correct way to engrave tempo instructions?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:31:24 -0400

On Monday 14 June 2004 04:21 am, Graham Percival wrote:
> On 13-Jun-04, at 3:50 AM, Alex Klein wrote:
> > I was wondering, what is the correct way to engrave the tempo
> > instructions (for example "Allegro vivace") in a classical piece? I
> > usually use the piece text in the header (which works nice but in
> > most scores I know the tempo instruction is set above the bar not
> > flushed to the left and is in bold letters), but what if one needs
> > to insert a tempo instruction in the middle of the piece. There are
> > of course the tempo markers, but I need the "text version" for
> > this. Would be nice if there would be a command like
>
> So far I've been using
> a4^\markup{ \huge \bold { meno mosso }}
> but I might change the \huge to \bigger instead.  I haven't yet sat
> down to compare sizes of font with various published stuff, so I'm
> not certain how much bigger such text should be.  But I think it
> /should/ be bigger than normal text.
>
> > \tempo 4=140 "Allegro vivace"
> >
> > which would result in just the text being printed in the score but
> > the numbers used for the midi file.
>
> FWIW, I second this feature request.  If only so that there's a
> standard size/font used for Lilypond tempo indications.  :)

And again I want to suggest that LilyPond use midge for midi in a way
similar to the way it uses LaTeX for typesetting.  Why doesn't that make
sense?  daveA

--
Paying more at the gas pump?  Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,