Re: Output Combined Parts

From: Ralph Little
Subject: Re: Output Combined Parts
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:04:11 +0100

Hi there,
The \score() in the parts files is triggering the individual part
output.
What I do (and most others I think) is put the parts (without \score)
into a notes file, and have separate files for parts and the score
generation.

E.g.

Notes.ly:
-------------------------------------
PartViolin = \notes {
        a4 b c d
}
PartCello = \notes {
        d4 c b a
}
-------------------------------------

PartViolin.ly:
--------------------------
\include "Notes.ly"
\header {
        ....header stuff...
}
\score {
        \PartViolin
}
--------------------------

PartCello.ly:
--------------------------
\include "Notes.ly"
\header {
        ....header stuff...
}
\score {
        \PartCello
}
--------------------------

Score.ly:
--------------------------
\include "Notes.ly"
\header {
        ....header stuff...
}
\score {
        \notes {
                \context StaffGroup = Strings {
                        \context Staff {
                                \PartViolin
                        }
                        \context Staff {
                                \PartCello
--------------------------

...or something like that.
Can't vouch for the syntax because I'm at work and haven't got time to
check!
You get the picture though?

BTW, there was some discussion recently in this group about getting the
bulk of the \header section into a separate file also which I have found
VERY useful.
See here for more details:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-05/msg00095.html

Cheers,
Ralph

> Hi
>
> I put each of my instrument notes is inside a separate file, so lets
say all cellos notes are inside cello.ly and violin notes are inside
violin.ly
> In each of these files, they have a \score{} so I can print out the
indiviual parts.
> Then I have a score.ly which have a huge staff which combine all the
parts together. however, while is parsing the individual instruments
like
> cello.ly, it will render the \score{} inside, causing the score.pdf
not only to contain the combined parts, and it has the separate parts.

> Is there anyway I can control when to  print the indiviual parts, and
when to print all parts as a group?