RE: Help with Lilypond on Windows

From: Bertalan Fodor
Subject: RE: Help with Lilypond on Windows
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:03:33 +0200

> For one thing, the current installation process for Lilypond is clumsy
and
> troublesome. Can't someone make a proper installer for it?

Well, because LilyPond greatly depends on other software packages, it
would be as clumsy and troublesome.

> Is there a possibility that some changes be made to the interface of
> Lilypond?
> If this is possible, then hopefully the Cygwin
> environment will be dumped in favour of a totally or nearly standalone
> Windows program.
Well, it's about platform-independence. I think the problem is that
LilyPond uses a lot of Unix system-calls (as a Windows program would use
lots of system-calls), which are not platform-independent. Porting
totally for windows would be a very hard task, and would require
continous windows-related patching. And you should know that in these
days computer applications going to run on virtual machines (Java, .NET)
- you can consider cygwin as a free virtual machine for Linux programs.
That's totally consistent with today's popular IT infrastructure.

> Also, are there any people out there who are annoyed about
> how console windows always terminate when they are finished?
Yes, that's annoying.

> it doesn't seem to be able to
> produce any output (hence the complaint about the Cygwin environment).

Please consider following the instructions on
http://lilypond.org/web/download/windows.html
and report if test.log was created.

Thanks,

Bert