Re: Problems with lilypond-book after upgrade

From: Ben Crowell
Subject: Re: Problems with lilypond-book after upgrade
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:24:27 -0500

TS Sunhede Fulk wrote:
>PS. I love Lilypond,
So do I!

Joe Neeman wrote:
>I agree, but you can help [snip]
>I think part of the problem is that the people most likely to write the
>documentation are those will lots of
>programming experience. If users want user-friendly documentation, they might
>have to pitch in and help. There's
>also a wiki somewhere.

In principle, I agree with Joe about users pitching in and helping. However,
IMO that's not really possible
at this point because Lilypond is not stable enough yet. The language is
constantly changing, and so are
things like the command-line options for lilypond-book. It's not reasonable to
expect users to write
documentation, knowing that their documentation will become obsolete in a few
months. To me, a version
number like 2.2 is inappropriate for lilypond at this point. Given the rapid
pace of development,
I think it should be more like 0.2.2, and when software is at 0.2.2, it's not
really done enough to attract
third-party documentation.