Re: Methods of working

From: Pedro Kroger
Subject: Re: Methods of working
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:20:53 -0300

* Cameron and Trudy Horsburgh (address@hidden) wrote:
> I've been wondering lately how other people organise their workflow, the
> tools used, and how they actually go through the typesetting process.
> Given the number of different platforms supported, I imagine this would
> vary widely.

I still haven't found a method I regard as "perfect", but I'm getting
there :-) I use emacs (can't live without lilypond-mode :-)). Usually
I have a workspace with emacs and a shell and another workspace with a
dvi or ps always opened. I tend to automate the process of running
lilypond with Make (you know, clean files, generate parts, and the
like). The great thing about having the dvi or ps file opened all the
time is that you can type the music, run make (from a shell or inside
emacs), and switch to the other workspace (using the keyboard of
course) to see the result. It's pretty convenient. Also, source
specials (called "point and click" in the manual) is a must.

> I'm also starting to play around with Emacs, but it'll be a while before
> I'm comfortable enough with it to trust myself doing anything important.
> I do like the CVS interface--I've been wondering how to version my work
> efficiently.

Version control is another thing I don't live without. I used to use
CVS but now I'm switching to subversion. I tend to commit from time
to time, and I try not to commit code that will "break" the
score. Having a meaningful Changlog is also helpful. I also use
tags to mark events like the first draft, the copy sent to first
performance, etc.

There are great tools I haven't tried yet like sly, lyqi, etc.

Pedro