Re: Stradella Bass Accordion Chords

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Stradella Bass Accordion Chords
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:48:49 +0200

Tim Hucker writes:

> I posted this query and have had no replies - is this because:
>
> (a) the answer is so obvious that it doesn't merit a reply
> (b) what I want to do can't be done
> (c) I've breached some etiquette that I didn't know about?

You should also consider:

(d) bad timing
(e) the question is too hard
(f) the question is too vague
(g) all of the above

It is always wise to repost (and possibly rephrase) an unanswered
question.

> Having continued to work on the problem with no success, there seem to be 2
> parts:
>
> Firstly, I want to turn off the inversion marker on the chord name
> completely, and
> Secondly I want to redefine the chords. As Lilypond seems to assume that the
> root of the chord is the lowest note is it possible to actually redefine
> chords one by one, so that a C major comes out as indicated below?
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who troubles to reply.
>
> Tim Hucker
>

>>Firstly & most importantly a big thank you to everyone involved in Lilypond
> for
>>such an amazing program - and free too! Please keep up the good work.
>
>>I am involved with engraving music for the accordion, particularly
>>the
> piano
>>accordion with Stradella bass. As the actual notes that play when you
> depress a
>>chord button are dictated by the instrument rather than the music, the
> notes
>>printed are a matter of convention.
>
>>For example, a chord of c major in the bass is conventionally represented
> as
>>middle c with the g and e below it. On my instrument the notes that
> actually
>>play are middle c with the e above and g below.

So, what do you want to have notated?

It seems that the cord name you want printed, is different from what
you want to see as actual pitches?

>>Is is possible for me to redefine the chords in Lilypond so that I get the
>>right inversion automatically, and the right chord name to go with it?

Maybe this example helps?

names = \chords {
    c1
    c/g
    c/e
    c/+e
    c/+g
}

\score{
    <<
        \context ChordNames \names
        \new Voice \relative c' { \clef bass \names }
        \new Voice \notes\relative c' {
            \clef bass
            <c e g>1
            <c e, g,>