Re: Methods of working

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Methods of working
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:06:24 +0200

Ralph Little writes:

> Erm, I'm not really sure what you mean.

Hmm, I'm not having my most communicative day, it seems.  Some odd
years ago, I made a small effort to provide a shared make file for
lilypond, esp. for making contributions to mutopia easier.

I'm fairly sure that this was documented in the reference manual under
section Mutopia, but I cannot find it anymore.

This is what I mean:

    mkdir -p ~/usr/src/ly
    cd ~/usr/src/ly
    cp ~/lily/make/ly.make GNUmakefile
    make help
    echo '{ a b c }' foo.ly
    make foo

but it seems that the top of the file has been broken since we added
$VERSION to sharedstatedir; it also doesn't work anymore with GNU make
3.80.

If there's interest in using makefiles after all, it may be a good
idea to revive this idea, fix the makefile, documentation and add
lilypond-book rules etc.

> I'm talking about building Lilypond music projects, not Lilypond itself..

Yes.