Re: What properties should I set?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: What properties should I set?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:36:50 +0200

for example in the ChordNames context. In the doc I find the properties of
the engravers and I find the translator properties that are given a default
value. Is that all that should be set?

There are certainly a number of properties that are useful to
set but that are unset by default. However, it's a difficult
compromise to determine which ones to list or not. Compare for
example the Program Reference of version 2.0 and 2.2, where
2.0 listed every available property for every object but 2.2
only lists the once that are set by default and you have to
click on the respective *-interface to find the full list.

Another example: it is well-known that in a Staff context I can set the
midiInstrument property, but I can not find it out from the
internals-documentation. I look at dynamic_performer, I found it, and found
it also in Tunable-context-properties. But how can I figure out that setting
midiInstrument makes sense in (and only in?) a Staff context?

Please let me understand the structure.

As Han-Wen already answered, there's no good documentation of the
MIDI generation part of LilyPond. The best starting point for the
moment is to read ly/performer-init.ly.

   /Mats