Re: flag position

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: flag position
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:49:23 +0200

The problem is that the rhythm is incorrect. Each of the first 8 bars
is one 32:nd note longer than 4/4. I see that you have turned off the
ordinary timing, but LilyPond will still keep track of the timing and
deterine the beaming and some other layout decisions based on it.
I propose to use an alternative route, namely to "correct" the
durations in the input, so that for example the MIDI output sounds
as you would play it. Still, you can keep the original notation in the
printed output.

There are several possibilities to do this, but I suggest to use the
trick described at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Durations.html#Durations
namely to write the first bar as
d8. \stopped [a'32*2/3 a a] d,8 [a' d, a'] |
This means that the printed output still will contain the three
32:nd notes, but LilyPond will internally handle them as a triplet.

(An alternative would be to use the ordinary support for triplets:
\times 2/3 { a32 a a }, but then you would have to turn off the
triplet number.)

This has several advantages, in addition to the problem you mention.
For example that LilyPond will print the bar lines correctly (if you
remove your setting of Score.timing).

As you can see above, I also added a bar check at the end of the
bar, which means that LilyPond will give you a warning when it
thinks that the timing isn't correct. This is very useful, not the
least in situations like these where you want to play some tricks
with the durations.

   /Mats

LEGRAND Jean-Marc wrote:
Hi all of you !

my new problem deals with flag position.

My text is, with Lilypond 2.0 on Windows  :

%31ème couplet
\score    {
     \notes {
          \clef alto
          \key d\minor
          \time 3/4
          \relative c' {
          \property Voice.Script \set #'padding = #1
          \property Score.timing = ##f
          d8.\stopped [a'32 a a] d,8 [a' d, a'] \bar "|"
          cis,8.[\breathe a'32 a a] cis,8 [a' a, a'] \bar "|"
          d,8.\stopped [a'32 a a] d,8 [a' f d] \bar "|"
          c8. [g'32 g g] c,8 [g' c, e] \bar "|"
          f,8. [f'32 f f] f,8 [f' f, a] \bar "|"
          \appoggiatura {\stemDown \slurUp c,16} g'8. [e'32 e e] c,8 [e' c, bes'] \bar
"|"
          \appoggiatura {\stemDown \slurUp d,16} f8. [d'32 d d] d,8 [d' d, f]
          \clef F \bar "|"
          \appoggiatura {\stemDown \slurUp a,16} e'8. [cis'32 cis cis] a,8 [cis' a, g']
\bar "|"
          d16 a' a a f a a a d, a' a a \bar "|"
          cis, a' a a e a a a cis, a' a a \bar "|"
          d, a' a a f a a a d, b' b b \bar "|"
          c, c' c c c,16 c' c c c,16 bes' bes bes \bar "|"
          \clef alto
          f f' f f a, f' f f f, f' f f \bar "|"
          c, e' e e g,16 e' e e c,16 bes' bes bes \bar "|"
          f d' d d \clef F a, cis' cis cis e, cis' cis cis \bar "|"
          \appoggiatura {\stemDown \slurUp \property Voice.Beam \override
#'positions = #'(-3 . -1)
d,16 [f a]} d2.
          \bar "||"}
          \break
               }
\header { piece="\\newpage  31ème couplet"}
\paper {}
     }

In the first measure, it's OK : [a'32 a a]  are well grouped together.
But in the second and sixth measures, the firts of these three notes has its
flag on the left, so
that the two last are well grouped together, but there's a gap between first
and second note. I
don't know if I'm clear, but I do need somme help !

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology