Re: dotted phrasing slur?

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: dotted phrasing slur?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:17:28 +0200

On Sunday 25 July 2004 14.42, address@hidden wrote:
> (cygwin, v. 2.2.2)
>
> I'm working on a piece with several stanzas of lyrics
> under a repeated section of music. At one point the stanzas
> are rhythmically slightly different but with the same pitches.
> [... b8\( a8 ~ a4\) ..., with one and two syllables in
> the different lyrics stanzas]. I want to put a dotted slur
> over the two notes to indicate that the notes may or may not
> be slurred depending on the repeat we're in, but I'd also
> like to use \lyricsto.

You probably want to fiddle with melismaBusyProperties, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.3/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/The-Lyrics-context.html#The-Lyrics-context

> So here's the problem: For ordinary slurs slurDotted and
> slurSolid are predefined, but since the slur creates a
> melisma, lyricsto will refuse to put two syllables there.
> With a phrasing slur there's no melisma, so for the case
> that has only one syllable I can just add an underscore
> (blank syllable) in the lyrics to fill the space, but
> phrasing slurs have no prefabs for dotted and solid.
>
> So, how do I change the line style for phrasing slurs?
> The program reference tells me there's a "dashed"
> property in slur-interface I can set, but I'm deeply
> confused about the where and how.

If you still want to use phrasing slurs, you could check out the definition of
slurDotted for ideas. The definition is in a ly file somewhere, in
like /usr/share/lilypond/2.3.x/ly/ or similar (i don't know how cygwin works)

Erik