Band parts - a newbie's view

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Band parts - a newbie's view
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:18:46 -0500 (CDT)

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:48:15 +0100
To: address@hidden
From: "Anthony W. Youngman" <address@hidden>

Quick bio - I'm a professional programmer and amateur musician ...

I'm trying to set some band parts, and I'm using 2.2.2 on cygwin. Okay,
some things are probably me trying to do things the "wrong" way, but
some things appear to be bugs...

What I'm trying to do is make stuff generic - not repeat stuff across
files - and some things are annoying while at least one thing appears to
be a bug...

I've put all the header info - title, composer etc into a "header.ly"
file. I include this in a part file, followed by a "header { instrument
= }" section. This second header section appears to wipe the first :-(
at any rate, all I get is the instrument name and everything else is
lost. Commenting out the second section means the first one appears ...

And the instrument is in the wrong place ... it gets put in the middle
of the header :-( As far as I'm concerned, on a part it belongs left
justified just above the first stave, and presumably on a score it
belongs just above or to the left of the relevant stave.

Okay - having moaned - how do I fix this the way I want? Do I need to
install source or can it be done in Scheme as part of the standard user
install? And if I need the source, what language is it? C++? I want to
make the header print the way I want :-), and I presume I need to add a
Staff.Instrument property to get that to print properly in a score...

Another annoying thing when trying to produce parts ... I've found that
putting time signatures, speed markings etc in a separate "part" is
great for getting timings right etc. Unfortunately, it seems that "s"
and "\skip" are classed as notes, so when I try to collapse bars with
the R syntax in the part, it doesn't work :-( (as an aside, how do I do
multi-bar rests with a time signature of eg 9/8? Does R1*9/8*n work?)

Two other annoyances (and in my mind they're UI blunders ...).
Practically every piece of music I've played that has letter rehearsal
marks DOES use the letter I. It's fine to have a default that doesn't,
but the manual appears to say "our tradition doesn't use it, therefore
we won't let you use it". Bad! Where do I change it? And do I have the
option of passing a list of marks for it to use?

The other is, if I ask for a time signature of 3/4, that's what I get.
Or 9/8. Or 6/8. Or 5/4 or almost anything. But if I ask for 2/2 or 4/4,
then that's what I DON'T get. Bad bad bad! If I want common or
cut-common, then I should be able to ask for that directly. And in my
experience 4/4 and common are not the same thing - I often play pieces
that have both ...

Have any of these points been addressed post 2.2.2? And if not, where
and how do I go about "fixing" them?

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.