Re: Band parts - a newbie's view

From: Christoph Ludwig
Subject: Re: Band parts - a newbie's view
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:28:38 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 05:09:49PM +0100, Ralph Little wrote:
> Unless I'm mistaken, cut-common and common-time are actually different
> things.
> Cut-common is the same as 2/2 not 4/4, whereas common-time and 4/4 are
> the same thing.

I have also seen examples where common-time meant 4/2. I don't have
music sheets handy, but, e.g., in "dtv-Atlas zur Musik", page 82,
there's an excerpt from Monteverdi's Aria of Orfeo (1607) that shows
this usage.

But if you look up "alla breve" (cut-common) in the same encyclopedia,
then you find more or less the same explanation you gave above. Go
figure...

Regards

Christoph
--