Re: Band parts - a newbie's view

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Band parts - a newbie's view
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:58:31 -0700

On Jul 28, 2004, at 9:09 AM, Ralph Little wrote:

Cut-common is often found in band parts and effectively doubles the
pace, at least that is my interpretation.

It all depends on the tempo markings, of course. It's quite possible to have a slow 2/2. The real difference is in the accents and the "feel" of the music. 2/2 flows differently from 4/4 because there are fewer beats (and therefore fewer accents) per bar.

As far as whether one uses numbers or c-shaped symbols, I think that the c-shaped symbols are traditional in certain types of music, but that the numbers seem to have become standard practice in modern music. It would make sense to me for Lilypond to have choices like use-numbers or use-symbols. (And what about the circle-with-a-line that Bach uses for 16/8 in the gigue of the E major keyboard partita? Is that in Lilypond somewhere, or is it too obscure to include such things?)

David