RE: Band parts - a newbie's view

From: Ralph Little
Subject: RE: Band parts - a newbie's view
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:34:47 +0100

Hi,
Getting a bit off topic here, but a quick search on Google reveals the
following, which may the answer to the 4/2 /alla breve issue:

http://www.music.indiana.edu/som/courses/rhythm/illustrations/large_alla
_breve.html

and to quote:

----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<
----------8<----
"large alla breve"

Definition:
The name given to compound 4/2 meter by German theorists and composers
of the first half of the eighteenth century. They ascribed equal metric
weight to the first and third half-note beats of the bar. Consequently,
they regarded each measure of this type as a composite of two 2/2 bars.
Baroque and classical composers employed large alla breve in slow
movements of sacred works and in works written in stile antico. During
the first half of the eighteenth century, German theorists and composers
regarded the stately 4/4 frequently employed in fugues as a notational
variant of large alla breve. See Grave (1985).
----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<
----------8<----

Well, I didn't know that!

Regards,
Ralph

--------------------------------------
address@hidden
www.tribaldata.co.uk
...or see what I do in my spare time:
www.skelmanthorpeband.org
--------------------------------------

"Man who shoot off mouth... expect to lose face."

---------
Tribal Data Solutions has moved, please visit our website for more details
http://www.tribaldata.co.uk.
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and are sent on the basis of
our copyright, e-mail and security policy which can be inspected by visiting
http://www.tribaldata.co.uk/policies.asp.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this
message. Thank you.