Re: Band parts - a newbie's view

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Band parts - a newbie's view
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:46:19 -0400

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 12:09 pm, Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
> Unless I'm mistaken, cut-common and common-time are actually
> different things.
> Cut-common is the same as 2/2 not 4/4, whereas common-time and 4/4
> are the same thing.
> Cut-common is usually represented with a C with a slash through.
>
> Cut-common is often found in band parts and effectively doubles the
> pace, at least that is my interpretation.

It halves the count.  Why go farther than that?

> Any other opinions?

Not on the facts.  But I agree that the numbers should be the default,
and that "common" and "cut" should be required for the C forms.

The appearance of scores with single measures of changing meter, as in
"Here Comes the Sun", is a very cogent argument to me.  I asked for this
many years ago.  I wish I had thought of that in terms of changing
meter.  You just don't see "C" except at the beginning of lines.  daveA

--
Paying more at the gas pump?  Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,