Re: Band parts - a newbie's view

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Band parts - a newbie's view
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 07:18:53 -0700

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 12:09 pm, Ralph Little wrote:
Hi,
Unless I'm mistaken, cut-common and common-time are actually
different things.
Cut-common is the same as 2/2 not 4/4, whereas common-time and 4/4
are the same thing.
Cut-common is usually represented with a C with a slash through.

Cut-common is often found in band parts and effectively doubles the
pace, at least that is my interpretation.

It halves the count.  Why go farther than that?
A lot of American popular/dance music is/was written in cut time even whether or not it is played in cut time. There are many examples where cut time is played in 4/4.

Paul Scott