Re: question about slurs

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: question about slurs
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 11:11:01 +0200

In order to slur two chords in the same line of music, you only need
a single slur. At least, that's the way the LilyPond implementors have
interpreted common notation practice.

However, if you really have two separate lines of music (two voices),
then they should be slured separately but also have separate stem
directions. This is what you get if you put these two lines of music
into separate Voice contexts in LilyPond, for example using
<<{d2 ( cis4) \\ {<e, gis>2 ( a4 ) } >>

Of course, if you really want all the notes on the same stem but still
have two slurs, it is possible to tweak LilyPond into giving you that,
but first you should really consider what the musical function of the
notes is and what notational practice you want to use.

    /Mats

Eugene Kim wrote:
Hello, this is a specific question I'm having problems with:

I have the following notation:

<e, gis d'>2( <a cis>4)

that's a half-note cord slurred with a quarter note chord. The notation is fine, but it only slurs the top notes of the chords, and I want another slur connecting the bottom notes of the chords, if you get what I mean... is there any way to accomplish that?

Thanks,
Eugene Kim

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing