Re: Can't chord lyrics?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Can't chord lyrics?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:54:33 +0200

Your example doesn't work, since both lines of lyrics and
both settings of the stanza property are done in one and the
same Lyrics context. What you have to do is to make sure that
the two lines of lyrics end up in separate contexts, for example
by
words=\lyrics {
    a start part
    <<
    {
        \set stanza = "1."
        a mid -- dle part
    }
    \new Lyrics {
        \set stanza = "2."
        a noth -- er part
    }

    and an end bit
}

However, this shown another problem, namely that contexts are placed
vertically in the order they are first mentioned. So, to get what
you want, you have to make sure that also the second Lyrics context
lives from the beginning of the piece (similar trick as in the satb.ly
example in the Templates section at www.lilypond.org)

\version "2.2"

words=\lyrics {
    a start part
    <<
     {
        \set stanza = "1."
        a mid -- dle part
    }
    \context Lyrics = lineII {
        \set stanza = "2."
        a noth -- er part
    }

    and an end bit
}

tune = \notes\relative c' {
    c4 d e2
    \repeat volta 2 {
    f4 e8 e d2
    }
    c8 c b4 c2
}

accomp = \notes \relative c {
    c4 g c c |
    \repeat volta 2 {
        g g g g |
    }
    c4 g c2
}

\score {
    \context ChoirStaff <<
        \context Staff = Top \context Voice=w \tune
        \lyricsto w \new Lyrics \words
        \context Lyrics = lineII \notes {s1*3 }
        \context Staff = bottom \notes {\clef "F" \accomp}

    \paper{}
}

   /Mats

Peter Chubb wrote:

I can't seem to put lyrics into chords ...
There's an example of what I'm trying to do at the end of the mail.

Lilypond 2.2.3 gives lots of `Junking event; 'LyricEvent', throws away
the words `another part' but labels the central section as stanza 2.

I've tried to put the two parallel sections into different Lyrics
contexts, but then it's hard to get them all in between the two staves.
(in other words, I haven't been able to work out how to do it, short
of splitting the tune into three Voice contexts, and then aligning
each part of the lyrics in turn.)
--
\version "2.2"

words=\lyrics {
a start part << {
        \set stanza = "1."            % THIS DISAPPEARS
        a mid -- dle part               % THIS IS VISIBLE
    }
    {
        \set stanza = "2."            % THIS IS VISIBLE
        a noth -- er part               % THIS DISAPPEARS
    }

    and an end bit
}

tune = \notes\relative c' {
    c4 d e2
    \repeat volta 2 {
    f4 e8 e d2
    }
    c8 c b4 c2
}

accomp = \notes \relative c {
    c4 g c c |
    \repeat volta 2 {
        g g g g |
    }
    c4 g c2
}

\score {
    \context ChoirStaff <<
        \context Staff = Top \context Voice=w \tune
        \lyricsto w \new Lyrics \words
        \context Staff = bottom \notes {\clef "F" \accomp}

    \paper{}

Peter Chubb

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing