Re: Some random lilypond questions

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Some random lilypond questions
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:20:00 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:
On 10-Aug-04, at 7:39 PM, Benjamin Esham wrote:

- Are there any plans to make text markups "smarter" with regards to
collisions? In a score I typeset recently, about half of the text markups
collided with something or other.  Will these just have to be tweaked by
hand, or will markups eventually get smarter?

I'm not aware of any immediate plans -- that's the primary use of
\once \override #'padding = #'foo
in my scores.

See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2004-08/msg00047.html

I'd especially like to improve text markups that go with dynamics -- like
"p dolce".  Currently I have to either do

d4\p d_\markup{ \italic dolce}

which looks a bit odd, especially with different rhythms, or

\once \override TextScript #'extra-offset (foo . bar)
d4\p\markup{ \italic dolce}

which involves a lot of guessing for the values of foo and bar.  :(

I mostly use d4_\markup{\dynamic p \italic dolce }
which handles the internal alignment neatly. However, you still have
the next question:

> - Can a \sffz dynamic command be added?  One can make this using text
> markups, but it seems like the "real" dynamic markings are more
> horizontally centered on the notes than the markups.

This is unfortunately not answered in the documentation, but if you
take a look at the file
/usr/share/lilypond/2.x.x//ly/dynamic-scripts-init.ly
you can see how the currently available dynamic markings are defined.

- What is the "preferred" way to organize a .ly file containing more than
one \score (e.g., multiple movements)?  I'm using this right now, but I
wanted to see if there was some kind of preferred way of doing it.

I'd say that lilypond-book is the "preferred" method.  :)

The question of organizing large works crops up every few months here, and
I've been swayed to the side of those who say that lilypond-book is the
answer to all problems.  :)
It takes a while to get used to it, but once you've completed one or two
projects with it, you won't want to go back.  Just like Lilypond, in fact.

As far as I understand, better support for multiple scores in a single
.ly file is one of the main improvements in the experimental 2.3.x
versions, which seems to be what Benjamin is already using.

    /Mats