Re: Lyrics and s1

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Lyrics and s1
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:45:20 -0400

On Monday 16 August 2004 12:37 am, Peter B. Steiger wrote:
> In my ongoing quest to make barbershop-style notation as quick and
> painless as possible, I downloaded 2.3.11 this week and got it
> running to see how I can adapt satb.ly to my needs.  I think I can
> make this work!  Those of you who have been around a few years and
> remember everything that was ever posted here may recall that my
> difficulty came from the fact that in barbershop notation, the second
> voice, not the top, carries the melody, and the three harmony parts
> often have syncopated or echoed lyrics that the lead does not have.
>
> Now I can have a main lyric section:
> MainWords = \lyrics {All parts sing these words __ }
>
> ... and use _ for spaces everywhere the harmony parts sing the same
> words:
> TenorWords = \lyrics { _ _ _ _ Echo these words }
> BariWords = \lyrics { _ _ _ _ Echo these words }
> etc.
>
> My question is about the satb.ly example and accompanying
> documentation about lyrics.  I can use that as a template to follow
> for my own bizarre needs, but it's hard and not clearly documented
> which elements should be written exactly as they appear in the
> example, which elements are arbitrary names that can be the same as
> the example or something else, and which elements must be changed
> from one song to the next (well, obviously notes and words are in the
> last group!)
>
> I have figured out most of it, but the one thing I'm still confused
> about is the { s1 } notation when setting up the positions of each
> part's lyric line.  Is there a special meaning for {s1}, or is that
> an arbitrary name that could just as easily be anything else?
>
> In my search through the list archives I encountered another
> barbershopper in Montana who is working on a simpler barbershop
> notation scheme... are there any other barbershoppers - or any choral
> group users - on this list?  I'd love to hear how you approach the
> sometimes shared/sometimes different lyric problem.

I wrote something for BSQ that was not very pure, although it did
have baritone melody for the most part.  Each part had its own
lyrics.  It's easier for the singers in case you get too contrapuntal.
daveA

--
Paying more at the gas pump?  Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,