combining guitar tabs and normal bars

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield
Subject: combining guitar tabs and normal bars
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:46:06 -0500

> Things seem to work ok for mini files, but as soon as I trie to
write
> something larger, I keep running into problems, such as: I define a
> chord \foo and a chord \baz, and when I make a sequence \foo \baz
\foo
> \baz, the first occurrence of \foo is an octave lower than the
second
> one, and this is also true of \baz. This happens with the lilypond
file
> below this message.
>
> Could anyone tell me what's going on here?

I was able to duplicate your problem.  Since I'm also a newbie, I
can't explain *why* it doesn't work.  But I can give you a fix.

The problem is the \relative command.  It apparently doesn't work the
way you (or I) think it should.

Use the \transpose command to transpose the score -- but DON'T
transpose the tabliture.  See code below.  (I added fingerings and
strings FYI.)  Reason:  the guitar sounds 8va lower than it is
written.  However, Lilypond interprets the tabliture in pitch.

IN GENERAL, I suggest that you write your music all into one big thing
(like mytheme).  You can add string assignments and fingerings into
mytheme, and it gets properly translated to the tab and the staff.
Notice how I transposed the staff notation, and forced all the stems
up on the tab notation.

Hope this helps!

Question for you (and the group):  When you set up macros for chords
(foo, bar), how do you change the note duration?  foo and bar have
each been interpreted as 1/4 notes.  How do you change that to a 1/2
note or 1/8th note?

######### CODE #############

foo = \notes { <c-2 g-0> }

baz = \notes { <g'-4 d-0> }