Re: Where are the Bash help files

From: J. Daniel Ashton
Subject: Re: Where are the Bash help files
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:20:42 -0400

C. Burton wrote:

> I need to see the Help files for program Bash.exe .What I have been
> able to find is OK so far, but I need all of the information.  From
> the starting point, opening the dos window and typing bash --help does
> display a screen of information.  But it does not give me tenough time
> to read the information, and I think there may be more complete
> information somewhere.  I need to know how to access the bash help files.

Most Cygwin programs are documented in man pages, info pages or both.
Open a Cygwin bash prompt and type

  man bash

or

  info bash

To see the --help information a page at a time, pipe it through less,
like this:

  bash --help | less

You can also buy books about bash.  A simple search for bash at
amazon.com turns up some interesting candidates, and I can recommend the
O'Reilly book by Newham & Rosenblatt.

--
Daniel Ashton      PGP key available     http://Daniel.AshtonFam.org
mailto:address@hidden         http://ChamberMusicWeekend.org