problems upgrading input files from lilypond 1.6.6

From: Jacob Smullyan
Subject: problems upgrading input files from lilypond 1.6.6
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 19:53:17 -0400

Hi --

I did a bit of work with lilypond 1.6.6 14 months ago and have an
unfinished composition typeset in it that I'd like to go back to.  But
I no longer have lilypond 1.6.6 installed, and it doesn't build on my
Gentoo Linux system (alas, C++ compiler problems); and lilypond 2.2.4,
even when I run "convert-ly -f 1.6.6 -e " on my .ly files, fails on
them with numerous syntax errors.

The syntax seems to have changed a great deal in a single year, which
is no doubt is great for the project's future, but is rough on
occasional users like me.  There isn't much documentation on how to
upgrade input files, either (but I'm not complaining -- I appreciate
all the energy that is going into the project).  The result is that
I'm a bit lost, and I'd be very grateful for any pointers on what
particular kinds of changes I should be looking for.

The input files in question (in their 1.6.6 version) are viewable
here:

  http://cvs.smullyan.org/viewcvs.cgi/trio/

They are quite short.

Thanks much,