Making a children's piano music book with LilyPond

From: Antti Kaihola
Subject: Making a children's piano music book with LilyPond
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:45:24 +0300

Hi all LilyPond users and developers,

I have a small music publishing company which has recently published its
first piano music book for children. The book has 65 elementary piano
pieces composed by a young Finnish composer-pianist. The pieces were
engraved using Sibelius.

We are now working on another set of pieces with three different
composers. We aim to publish the new book in December. There will be
about 40-50 small pieces (1-2 pages each).

I'm doing the new pieces with both Sibelius and LilyPond at the same
time, because I want to evaluate LilyPond's abilities and maturity for
print quality publishing.

So far my experience from LilyPond has been mostly positive, and its way
of thinking suits me very well.

I assume it would help developers and users if I post examples of
erroneus or incomplete output to the mailing list(s)? It would help to
see tricks and workaround from other users, and hopefully some of the
cases would lead to bugfixes or new features.

In the best case we would be able to use LilyPond's output for the
printed book, but in any case I'd be happy to do my part to help
LilyPond mature towards that goal.

Which list should I post my examples to?

My first problem with the current CVS version is that it won't produce
landscape A4 output like LilyPond 2.2. The same problem was reported[1]
on the lilypond-user mailing list in August. As soon as the problem is
resolved or a workaround found, I'll be able to use the CVS version, but
until then I must stick to 2.2.

Here's my \paper section which works perfectly in 2.2:

papernormal = \paper {
    pagenumber = no
    linewidth = 256 \mm
    indent = 0 \mm